Assessment and management of surgical conditions relating to the breast, including breast cancer
North South North West Statewide
- Breast augmentation and cosmetic procedures not related to surgical management of a pathological condition are not offered.
- Paediatric cases under the age of 14 should be referred to Paediatric Surgery.
- Mammography is not offered in the public system.
- McGrath Breast Care Nurse work statewide with both and private cancer patients and in clinics. They are there as a support and liaison person for these patients.
Emergency conditions/symptoms include (not an exhaustive list):
- Unwell patient with systemic symptoms with breast abscess
A referral (preferably faxed) is required for all new appointments and must conform to the Referral Standards as outlined on For Clinicians.
Referrals are registered by the clinic to who they are referred and are triaged according to the specific clinic guidelines.
Clinic Appointments - Appointments are based on clinical priority:
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6348 7382
MCH ED – Phone: (03) 6478 5120 Fax: (03) 6426 5115
NWRH ED – Phone: (03) 6493 6340 Fax: (03) 6430 6691
RHH ED - Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
Urgent / category 1
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the Consultant/Registrar to organise urgent review and the referral must be faxed.
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks, or sooner if clinically indicated.
Semi-urgent / category 2
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Routine / category 3
Next available appointment
For use by health professionals only
If a patient has been through Breastscreen Tasmania, please send the letters from Breastscreen Tasmania with the patient and with the referral.
Please attach any relevant old or new imaging reports with referrals.
Advice for patients in relation to familial breast cancer risk can be obtained via the Cancer Australia website