North South North West Statewide
Direct referral to:
- Heart Failure Clinic for complex and advanced heart failure
- Nurse Practitioner for established heart failure patients
All referrals should comply to the referral standards and also include:
- Onset of condition
- Past cardiac history
- Co-morbidities especially COPD
- Current and past medications
- Trialled medications and results of trial
- Effect on function especially ADLs and work
- FBE & iron studies
- U&Es, creatinine
- Consider BNP if diagnostic dilemna
To refer a patient with this condition, please see the Cardiology clinic page for the full referral process and templates.
- Diuretic therapy
- Patient education on fluid and weight management and plan
- Patients with suspected heart failure should be referred to the general Cardiology Clinic
- Direct link to Health Pathways Heart Failure page
For more information please see the Tasmanian Health Pathways website.
Acute cardiac failure/APO
Urgent / category 1
Severe chronic failure with recent exacerbation
Semi-urgent / category 2
Heart failure patients with fluctuation in symptoms and at risk of acute exacerbation if not reviewed by cardiologist
Routine / category 3
Established heart failure patients requiring review, ongoing management plans and education – these patients can be referred directly to the Heart Failure Nurse Practitioner
Red flags are clinical indicators of possible serious underlying conditions requiring further medical intervention. They may or may not indicate an emergency.
Heart Failure Nurse Practitioner contact details:
Sue Sanderson: Phone 6166 7398
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6348 7382
MCH ED – Phone: (03) 6478 5120 Fax: (03) 6441 5923
NWRH ED – Phone: (03) 6493 6340 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED - Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the Consultant/Registrar to organise urgent review and the referral must be faxed.
We will endeavour to see these patients within one week, or sooner if clinically indicated.
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks
Next available appointment usually within eight weeks