Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)
North South North West Statewide
All referrals should comply to the referral standards and include:
- Episodic, motion induced vertigo
- Examination: Positive Hallpike test – characteristic nystagmus MUST be seen
To refer a patient with this condition, please see the ENT clinic page for the full referral process and templates.
- Epley manoeuvre (and home Epley manoeuvre, where appropriate, for patient to perform for 3 days)
- Consider referral to a Vestibular Physiotherapist or a Balance Falls Clinic
- Refer to Primary Care Management Guidelines for GPs_Dizziness
- Refer to Primary Care Management Guidelines for GPs_Dizziness tests and manoeuvres
For more information please see the Tasmanian Health Pathways website.
Semi-urgent / category 2
Cat 3 symptoms but elderly with heightened falls risk – Cat 2
Routine / category 3
If BPPV is refractory to repeated Epley manoeuvres (greater than 3 attempts) – Cat 3
Co-morbid vestibular or otological conditions – Cat 3
Red flags are clinical indicators of possible serious underlying conditions requiring further medical intervention. They may or may not indicate an emergency.
Links how to perform
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED).
LGH ED Reception – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6777 5201
MCH ED* – Phone: (03) 6478 5120 Fax: (03) 6441 5923
NWRH ED* – Phone: (03) 6493 6351 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED Reception – Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
Advice for medical practitioners can be given by the Medical Officer In Charge (MOIC) - see HealthPathways Tasmania for contact information.
*MCH and NWRH MOICs request GPs call them prior to referring a patient to ensure the patient is being sent appropriately to a safe destination.
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the Consultant/Registrar to organise urgent review and the referral must be faxed.
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks, or sooner if clinically indicated.
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Next available appointment