North South North West Statewide
All referrals should comply with the referral standards and should include:
- History of neck trauma – note signs of trauma
- History of infection
- History of condition
- History of smoking, alcohol
- Past history – Hypothyroidism, Diabetes, GORD, Rheumatoid disease, Pharyngeal/Oesophageal tumour, Lung cancer
- For Chronic Hoarseness – CXR, FBE, ESR, TFTs if indicated
To refer a patient with this condition, please see the ENT clinic page for the full referral process and templates.
For more information please see the Tasmanian Health Pathways website.
Hoarseness with known neck trauma
Stridor with known neck trauma
Stridor with acute infection
Urgent / category 1
- Hoarseness >4 weeks with infection
- Hoarseness > 4 weeks in a smoker
Red flags are clinical indicators of possible serious underlying conditions requiring further medical intervention. They may or may not indicate an emergency.
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6777 5201
MCH ED – Phone: (03) 6478 5120 Fax: (03) 6441 5923
NWRH ED – Phone: (03) 6493 6340 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED - Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the Consultant/Registrar to organise urgent review and the referral must be faxed.
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks, or sooner if clinically indicated.
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Next available appointment