North South North West Statewide
All referrals should comply to referral standards and include in particular:
- Duration of symptoms
- Pattern and severity of symptoms
- Previous surgery or chemo or radiotherapy especially to the mediastinum
- Details of any previous endoscopies (date, result)
- Current and recently ceased medications especially failed treatments
- Weight loss and appetite
- Medications especially anticoagulants and reason for prescription, iron, NSAIDs, steroids and hypoglycaemic agents.
- History of cardiovascular disease, renal disease, liver disease, diabetes
Initial work up:
- FBE, Iron Studies and ESR
- Barium swallow
To refer a patient with this condition, please see the Gastroenterology clinic page for the full referral process and templates.
For more information please see the Tasmanian Health Pathways website.
Complete inability to swallow and manage oral secretions
Urgent / category 1
Recent onset dysphagia Progressive dysphagia
Associated with weight loss
Semi-urgent / category 2
Long-standing, non-progressive dysphagia
Red flags are clinical indicators of possible serious underlying conditions requiring further medical intervention. They may or may not indicate an emergency.
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED).
LGH ED Reception – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6777 5201
MCH ED* – Phone: (03) 6478 5120 Fax: (03) 6441 5923
NWRH ED* – Phone: (03) 6493 6351 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED Reception – Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
Advice for medical practitioners can be given by the Medical Officer In Charge (MOIC) - see HealthPathways Tasmania for contact information.
*MCH and NWRH MOICs request GPs call them prior to referring a patient to ensure the patient is being sent appropriately to a safe destination.
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the clinic and the relevant doctor for urgent assessment, or patient should be directed immediately to the Emergency Department.
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Next available appointment