Established Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
North South North West Statewide
All referrals should comply to referral standards and include in particular:
- Ulcerative colitis
- Indeterminate colitis
- Site: proctitis, left colon, pancolitis, small bowel
- Details of any previous endoscopies (date, result)
- Complications e.g. fistula
- Extra intestinal manifestations e.g. arthritis, iritis, erythema nodosum
Initial work up:
- ESR and CRP
- Faecal specimen for M,C&S
- Iron studies
To refer a patient with this condition, please see the Gastroenterology clinic page for the full referral process and templates.
For more information please see the Tasmanian Health Pathways website.
Urgent / category 1
When patient presents with any of the following, contact Gastroenterology Registrar via switch 6166 8308
- >6 loose bowel actions per day
- PR bleeding
- Significant abdominal pain
- Significant weight loss
- Previously severe disease
Semi-urgent / category 2
- 4 – 6 loose bowel actions per day
- Occasional PR blood
- Mild abdominal pain
- Recurrent symptoms on reducing Steroids
- Patients known to the IBD Clinic
Routine / category 3
At least 3 monthly review
- If taking azathioprine, 6MP, MTX, infliximab
Patients in remission
- Colonoscopy screening for colorectal cancer
Red flags are clinical indicators of possible serious underlying conditions requiring further medical intervention. They may or may not indicate an emergency.
GESA Guideline:Inflammatory Bowel Disease (2013)
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED).
LGH ED Reception – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6777 5201
MCH ED* – Phone: (03) 6478 5120 Fax: (03) 6441 5923
NWRH ED* – Phone: (03) 6493 6351 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED Reception – Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
Advice for medical practitioners can be given by the Medical Officer In Charge (MOIC) - see HealthPathways Tasmania for contact information.
*MCH and NWRH MOICs request GPs call them prior to referring a patient to ensure the patient is being sent appropriately to a safe destination.
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the clinic and the relevant doctor for urgent assessment, or patient should be directed immediately to the Emergency Department.
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Next available appointment