Assessment and management of general surgical conditions. Please note related information can be found in gastroenterology and colorectal surgery guidelines
North South North West Statewide
- Tattoo removal, cosmetic surgery, vasectomies, asymptomatic varicose vein surgery are not offered. Link to procedures not routinely funded
THS Southern Region only
- Breast surgery: see Breast Surgery guidelines. Note: breast surgery is also performed by Dr S Wilkinson via the General Surgical Clinic pathway.
- Thyroid lesions please refer to thyroid Endocrinology Clinic in the first instance.
- Obesity (bariatric) surgery is offered under strict criteria and in a very limited fashion.
Direct patients to the Emergency Department if urgent assessment is required, e.g. for the following symptoms/conditions (not exclusive):
- Acute pancreatitis
- Acute severe biliary pain
- Frequent vomiting
- Major rectal bleeding
- Obstructed or painful hernia
- Obstructive jaundice
- Severe abdominal pain
- Strangulated hernia
A referral (preferably faxed) is required for all new appointments and must conform to the Referral Standards as outlined on For Clinicians.
Specific requirements are detailed in the individual clinic and condition referral guidelines.
Referrals are registered in the Specialist Clinic and triaged by each Consultant/Medical Officer. Please specify the urgency of appointment required.
If the patient needs a colonoscopy/gastroscopy and you do NOT feel they need a prior clinic consultation, indicate on the referral that a 'direct scope' is wanted.
Tasmanian Health Service - Southern Region: For urgent referrals call the RHH switch on 6166 8308 and ask for the nurse in charge of surgical clinics or the relevant consultant to expedite the consultation.
Please indicate on the referral:
- Reason for the consult
- Tests and results already done
- Urgency to be seen
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6348 7382
MCH ED – Phone: (03) 6478 5120 Fax: (03) 6426 5115
NWRH ED – Phone: (03) 6493 6340 Fax: (03) 6430 6691
RHH ED - Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6222 8919
Urgent / category 1
For urgent referrals call the RHH switch on 6166 8308 and ask for the nurse in charge of surgical clinics or the relevant consultant to expedite the consultation.
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks, or sooner if clinically indicated.
Semi-urgent / category 2
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Routine / category 3
Next available appointment
For use by health professionals only