For the diagnosis, assessment and management of renal disease and ongoing care of advanced renal disease
North South North West Statewide
Who does not usually need to be referred to a nephrologist?
CKD Stage 2 and 3:
- Stable eGFR 30–89 mL/min/1.73m2
- Minor proteinuria (< 0.5 g/24hrs with no haematuria)
- Controlled blood pressure
The following people should be considered for referral to the renal clinic:
- eGFR < 30mL/min/1.73m2 (including all people with a kidney transplant or dependent on dialysis)
- New onset Nephrotic Syndrome (Oedema, Hypoalbuminemia, Proteinuria>3.5g/24hr)
- Unexplained decline in kidney function (> 25% drop in eGFR over three months)
- Proteinuria > 1g/24hrs - particularly in non-diabetics
- Glomerular haematuria (particularly if proteinuria present)
- Potential kidney donors
The following people may be considered for referral to the renal clinic:
- Recurrent urine infection
- Resistant Hypertension (on 3 or more agents)
- Recurrent renal calculi
A referral (preferably faxed) is required for all new appointments and must conform to the Referral Standards as outlined on For Clinicians.
Specific requirements are detailed in the individual clinic and condition referral guidelines.
Referrals are registered by the clinic to who they are referred and are triaged according to the specific clinic guidelines.
Clinic Appointments - Appointments are based on clinical priority:
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6348 7382
MCH ED – Phone: (03) 6478 5120 Fax: (03) 6426 5115
NWRH ED – Phone: (03) 6493 6000 Fax: (03) 6430 6691
RHH ED - Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6222 8919 OR contact Renal Advanced Trainee or Nephrologist on Service via RHH Switchboard (03) 6222 8303 to facilitate urgent review/advice
Urgent / category 1
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the Consultant/Registrar to organise urgent review and the referral must be faxed.
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks, or sooner if clinically indicated.
Semi-urgent / category 2
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Routine / category 3
Next available appointment
For use by health professionals only