- Brain Tumours
- Hydrocephalus and other miscellaneous conditions/Shunt issues
- Low Back Pain
- Mechanical neck pain with/out arm pain with no neurological deficit
- Neck pain associated with neurological deficit/Cervical Myelopathy
- Neck pain secondary to malignant disease/infection
- Peripheral Nerves
- Trigeminal neuralgia and other cranial nerve abnormalities
- Vascular Disorders
Assessment and management of adult and paediatric neurosurgical conditions.
North South North West Statewide
The following conditions are not for referral to Neurosurgery:
- Mechanical lower back pain without lower limb pain
- Degenerative spinal disorders with minimal or no neurological deficit
- Occipital neuralgia
- Smoking cessation is strongly encouraged for any patient referred for spinal surgery.
- All surgery is performed at the RHH but post-operative rehabilitation may occur in the LGH or NWRH.
- All new patients and previous patients with a new condition may be seen at the RHH, LGH and NWRH for their initial appointment.
Emergency conditions/symptoms include (not an exhaustive list):
- Subarachnoid haemorrhage
- Benign or malignant tumours associated with midline shift, hydrocephalus or severe deficits
- Spinal cord compression with severe or rapidly progressive deficit
- Blocked or infected VP shunt
- Mass lesion (tumour or abscess) on CT or suspected, with headache with increasing drowsiness, increasing weakness or vomiting
- Spine # (unstable or suspected unstable) or with neurological deficit
- Significant head Injury
Phone the Neurosurgery Registrar on call via RHH switch (03) 6166 8308
A referral (preferably faxed) is required for all new appointments and must conform to the Referral Standards as outlined on For Clinicians.
Specific requirements are detailed in the individual clinic and condition referral guidelines.
Clinic Appointments – Appointments are based on clinical priority:
The times to assessment may vary depending on size and staffing of the hospital department.
Urgent cases must be discussed with the Neurosurgery Registrar on call to obtain appropriate prioritisation and then a referral letter faxed to (03) 6173 0491.
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6777 5201
MCH ED – Phone: (03) 6478 5120 Fax: (03) 6441 5923
NWRH ED – Phone: (03) 6493 6340 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED – Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6173 0489 - Phone the Neurosurgery Registrar on call via Switch (03) 6166 8308 and/or send to RHH DEM
Urgent / category 1
Urgent cases must be discussed with the Neurosurgery Registrar on call to obtain appropriate prioritisation and a referral faxed to (03) 6173 0491
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks, or sooner if clinically indicated.
Semi-urgent / category 2
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Routine / category 3
Next available appointment
For use by health professionals only