North South North West Statewide
All referrals should comply to with the Referral Standards and specifically include:
- Gestation – preferably referred before 12 weeks when possible
- Specific conditions needing early appointment should be highlighted – advanced maternal age, request for counselling re amniocentesis/chorionic villus sampling, diabetes
- Abnormal investigations must be highlighted
- Consider 11-13+6 week nuchal screening
- Consider GTT – gestational diabetes, BMI >40, ethnic background of Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander, Pacific Islander, previous macrosomic baby. Nb. Indicate on the request form that a POGTT is requested
Must include as a minimum:
- Blood group and antibodies
- Hep B & C serology
- HIV serology
- Rubella serology
- Syphilis serology
To refer a patient with this condition, please see the Obstetrics clinic page for the full referral process and templates.
Options for care include:
- Midwifery care including Know your Midwife, midwifery group practice, outreach services
- Antenatal Clinic care, including the specialist high risk clinics where appropriate
Please note: The Obstetric Unit offers a Young Mum's Clinic, Antenatal-Endocrine Clinic, Drug and Alcohol Pregnancy Service.
For more information please see the Tasmanian Health Pathways website.
Signs of severe pre-eclampsia
Urgent / category 1
Late gestation referral
Advanced maternal age
Semi-urgent / category 2
Previous complications of pregnancy
Red flags are clinical indicators of possible serious underlying conditions requiring further medical intervention. They may or may not indicate an emergency.
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6777 5201
NWRH ED – Phone: (03) 6493 6340 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED – Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the Consultant/Registrar to organise urgent review and the referral must be faxed.
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks, or sooner if clinically indicated.
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Next available appointment