North South North West Statewide
Referrals should be completed and forwarded as soon as possible. Please highlight specific concerns that may require triage to specialty clinics or more urgent appointments.
All referrals should comply with the Referral Standards and specifically include:
- Gestation - LMP and EDD , Gravidity and Parity
- Highlight abnormal investigations or clinical concern
- Past medical and obstetric history
- Note outcome of discussion of aneuploidy screening/dating
- Physical examination including mandatory Height, Weight and BP
- Smoking, alcohol and other drug history
- Whether an interpreter is required
- Social and cultural needs or concerns
- Indicate if a perinatal and mental health referral is required
- An indication of the mother’s preferred model of care (midwifery/GP/Specialist).
Must include as a minimum:
- Blood group and antibodies
- Rubella Titre
- Hep B & C serology
- Syphilis serology
- HIV serology
- Chlamydia (North, North West)
- Fasting BSL (if no risk factors) or Early GTT if risk factors/clinical need
- Results of any ultrasound and indicate if aneuploidy screening is arranged or if patient declines
- If clinically indicated include Vit D, Hb electrophoresis, TFT, Chlamydia testing (South)
To refer a patient with this condition, please see the Obstetrics clinic page for the full referral process and templates.
Options for care include:
- Midwifery care models
- GP Shared care - At the first appointment the GP should explain the obstetric shared care protocols, including the timing and nature of the antenatal visits shared between the participating hospital and GP.
- Collaborative care models including, high risk clinic, complex care, obstetric endocrine and general antenatal doctors clinic.
For South specific model of care descriptors please refer to the THS Royal Hobart Hospital - General Practice Liaison Newsletter.
The THS deliver Antenatal and Extended Care Midwifery Services to the North West Regional Hospital and the Mersey Community Hospital with inpatient and birthing services provided by the North West Private Hospital and the Launceston General Hospital.
There are midwifery, obstetric, gynaecology and extended care midwifery services delivered to King Island, West Coast and Smithton.
North West currently does not have the option of GP shared care.
Consider descriptors from North and North West
For more information please see:
For more information please see the Tasmanian Health Pathways website.
Signs of severe pre-eclampsia
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 8302 Fax: (03) 6777 5201
NWRH ED – Phone: 0459 848 725 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED – Phone: (03) 6166 6101 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
Urgent / category 1
Late gestation referral
Advanced maternal age
Semi-urgent / category 2
Previous complications of pregnancy
Red flags are clinical indicators of possible serious underlying conditions requiring further medical intervention. They may or may not indicate an emergency.
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6777 5201
NWRH ED – Phone: (03) 6493 6340 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED – Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the Consultant/Registrar to organise urgent review and the referral must be faxed.
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks, or sooner if clinically indicated.
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Next available appointment