Abnormal Prenatal Screening
North South North West Statewide
Women with an 'increased risk' on screening in early pregnancy can be referred to the Women’s Health Clinic (antenatal clinic) for assessment. Clinic staff will arrange appropriate follow up. Please provide copies of all testing.
Where appropriate, non-invasive prenatal testing will be discussed. Patients may be required to pay for this test to be carried out. Otherwise an appropriate diagnostic test (CVS or amniocentesis) may be offered. Referral to Tasmanian Clinical Genetics Service may also be appropriate and can be arranged by the clinic.
All referrals should comply with the Referral Standards and specifically include:
- Details of testing and copy of result
- Reason for prenatal diagnosis screening
- A diagnostic test cannot be performed unless the woman’s blood group HIV, HCV and HBV result is known.
- A phone call to the clinic is required if clinically urgent.
- South - phone: (03) 6166 8711
- North - phone: 1300 977 694
- On the North West please call the clinic to book into the next doctors’ clinic
- For Mersey Community Hospital appointments phone: (03) 6478 5180
- For North West Regional Hospital appointments phone: (03) 6493 6353
To refer a patient with this condition, please see the Obstetrics clinic page for the full referral process and templates.
Referral can be made to a Genetic Counsellor to assist with decision making by faxing a referral to Professor Martin Delatycki and Genetic Counsellors on (03) 6173 0328 or 6222 7961 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The antenatal care provider will endeavour to contact patients within 24 hours of receipt of referral.
For more information please see the Tasmanian Health Pathways website.
Urgent / category 1
'Increased risk' on screening
Red flags are clinical indicators of possible serious underlying conditions requiring further medical intervention. They may or may not indicate an emergency.
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6777 5201
NWRH ED – Phone: (03) 6493 6340 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED – Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the Consultant/Registrar to organise urgent review and the referral must be faxed.
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks, or sooner if clinically indicated.
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Next available appointment