North South North West Statewide
Assessment and management of adult respiratory conditions, including bronchiectasis, interstitial lung disease, assessment of respiratory failure, chest wall disease and includes assessment for supplemental oxygen therapy and pulmonary rehabilitation.
All referrals should comply with the Referral Standards and specifically include:
- Smoking status
- Co-morbidities and past history
- Relevant occupational and recreational
- Current and past medications
- General medical history including risk factors for coronary disease, thromboembolic disease
- Description of the provoking and relieving factors and accompanying symptoms
Pulse oximetry may be useful - hypoxaemia in a patient with dyspnoea indicates significant disease.
Initial helpful pre-referral test might include:
- FBC, UEC, LFT
- Office based spirometry, if possible
To refer a patient with this condition, please see the Respiratory and Sleep Medicine clinic page for the full referral process and templates.
- Smoking cessation program
- Respiratory Function Unit: Lung function testing is performed at the Lung Function Unit
For more information please see the Tasmanian Health Pathways website.
Red flags are clinical indicators of possible serious underlying conditions requiring further medical intervention. They may or may not indicate an emergency.
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6777 5201
MCH ED – Phone: (03) 6478 5120 Fax: (03) 6441 5923
NWRH ED – Phone: (03) 6493 6340 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED – Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks.
Patients with suspected lung cancer will be seen within one week.
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the Respiratory Department and/or the relevant doctor for urgent assessment and referral faxed to the Respiratory Department as well (03) 6173 0462.
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks.
Next available appointment.