- Upper GI Tract Haemorrhage (Haematemesis and/or Melaena)
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Abdominal Pain, Discomfort or Bloating
- Positive Coeliac Antibodies
- Iron Deficiency Anaemia (IDA)
- Constipation and Fluctuating Bowel Habits (Inc Suspected IBS)
- Rectal Bleeding / Positive FOBT
- Colonic Polyp Surveillance
- Family History of Colorectal Cancer (CRC)
- Established Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Abnormal Liver Function Tests (LFTs)
- Hepatitis B (HBV)
- Hepatitis C
Assessment and management of gastroenterology conditions
North South North West Statewide
See Referral Process
Emergency conditions/symptoms include (not an exhaustive list):
- Upper GI Tract Haemorrhage (Haematemesis and/or Melaena), suspected bowel obstruction (vomiting and distension with constipation), suspected acute, severe or fulminant hepatic failure: All patients should be referred directly to the Emergency Department.
- Acute severe diarrhoea or bloody diarrhoea: Please contact Emergency Department Medical Officer in Charge via RHH Switchboard (03) 6166 8308
Statewide Referral Process
A referral (preferably faxed) is required for all new appointments and must conform to the Referral Standards as outlined on For Clinicians.
All patients referred for surveillance colonoscopies after removal of polyps or for family history are triaged according to the following guidelines:
Note: Referrals of asymptomatic patients deemed not to meet guidelines will be returned to the referrer.
THS Southern Region
All referrals are triaged and appointments are provided based on clinical priority. Some patients may be suitable for direct access endoscopy – if this is the case you will receive notification from the Endoscopy Booking Office that your patient has been placed on the Endoscopy Waiting List.
Endoscopy Fax number: (03) 6173 0327
GP Only Hotline: (03) 6166 8367
If you have a patient currently waiting on the Endoscopy Waiting List and you wish to discuss their current waiting time or have concerns re their clinical status please contact our senior nursing specialists.
For non-clinical endoscopy enquiries (including patient enquiries):
Endoscopy Booking Office
Phone: (03) 6166 7584 during business hours
THS North West Region
The Endoscopy and Gastroenterology Services are located at the Mersey General Hospital. Please utilise the Direct Endoscopy Referral Form located on the Primary Health Tasmania website.
NW Endoscopy Liaison Nurse
Phone: (03) 6478 5390
Fax: (03) 6441 5942
Booking Office Phone: (03) 6478 5389
Clinic Appointments - Appointments are based on clinical priority:
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED).
LGH ED Reception – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6777 5201
MCH ED* – Phone: (03) 6478 5120 Fax: (03) 6441 5923
NWRH ED* – Phone: (03) 6493 6351 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED Reception – Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
Advice for medical practitioners can be given by the Medical Officer In Charge (MOIC) - see HealthPathways Tasmania for contact information.
*MCH and NWRH MOICs request GPs call them prior to referring a patient to ensure the patient is being sent appropriately to a safe destination.
Urgent / category 1
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the clinic and the relevant doctor for urgent assessment, or patient should be directed immediately to the Emergency Department.
Semi-urgent / category 2
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Routine / category 3
Next available appointment
For use by health professionals only