From April – August 2022, the Department will contact patients waiting for an outpatient clinic appointment via SMS, with a link to an electronic form. This forms part of a routine audit to ensure patient details are up to date. If you receive this SMS, please update your details.
There is no condition information for this clinic
Assessment and management of patients with non-specific neurological symptoms, i.e. unexplained sensory symptoms or fatigue, will be seen in the general neurology clinic – most of these patients do not have MS, if they are subsequently shown to have MS, then they will be transferred to the MS clinic.
North South North West Statewide
- The MS clinic is not a service providing easy or quick access to MRI brain scans
- Patients with established MS
- Patients with other CNS demyelinating syndromes, e.g. neuromyelitis optica
- Patients with recognized single demyelinating syndromes, e.g. optic neuritis or transverse myelitis
- Patients who have been diagnosed with MS elsewhere (e.g. if moving interstate), must provide copies of their medical records and relevant investigations for review
- All new patients need to provide copies of their brain and/or spine MRI scans for review
A referral (preferably faxed) is required for all new appointments and must conform to the Referral Standards as outlined on For Clinicians.
All referrals are triaged and allocated to consultant or unit registrar based on clinical priority. Registrar cases will be discussed with consultant.
Please forward with referral any relevant clinical history, private investigation results and ask patients to bring current medication list and, if appropriate, any relevant x-rays.
Please indicate if an interpreter is required and for which language. We will arrange this when booking the appointment.
Clinic Appointments - Appointments are based on clinical priority:
Urgent / category 1
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the Consultant/Registrar to organise urgent review and the referral must be faxed.
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks, or sooner if clinically indicated.
Semi-urgent / category 2
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Routine / category 3
Next available appointment
For use by health professionals only
Direct link to Health Pathways Multiple Sclerosis page.