Respiratory and Sleep Medicine
Assessment and management of adult respiratory conditions and includes assessment for supplemental oxygen therapy, pulmonary rehabilitation, selected smoking cessation and mantoux testing. Please note most clinics are multidisciplinary clinics. Formal lung function tests and patient education may be provided in conjunction with the clinic.
North South North West Statewide
THS Southern Region
- Respiratory Function Unit: Lung function testing is performed at the Lung Function Unit.
- Patients less than 18 years of age to be referred to Paediatric clinics in the first instance.
- Referral to Pulmonary Rehabilitation and Smoking Cessation clinic is from within the Respiratory clinic after initial assessment.
- Interim Sleep Medicine Service - only available to Health Care and Commonwealth Senior Health Care card holders. Patients will require a fully completed RHH Sleep Clinic Referral.
THS Northern Region
See Health Pathways for lung function testing, as not offered in public.
Sleep studies are not offered at LGH.
THS North West Region
This service is offered through General Medicine.
Emergency conditions/symptoms require referral to the Emergency Department and include (not an exhaustive list):
- Acute respiratory failure (severe dyspnoea, central cyanosis, confusion, haemodynamic instability)
- Severe pneumonia
- Acute exacerbation of COPD with respiratory failure
- Acute severe asthma
- Pulmonary embolism
- Severe breathlessness
- Massive haemoptysis (>200ml)
A referral (preferably faxed) is required for all new appointments and must conform to the Referral Standards as outlined on For Clinicians.
Referrals are registered in the Specialist Clinic and triaged by the Consultant/Medical Officer when they are next in clinic.
If acute, patient should be directed immediately to the Emergency Department.
For Mantoux testing./BCG vaccination - please send through a valid referral to the Respiratory Clinic.
Please note the RHH Sleep Clinic Referral template and Frequently Asked Questions. A downloadable Sleep Referral template is yet to be implemented.
Clinic Appointments - Appointments are based on clinical priority:
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 8302 Fax: (03) 6777 5201
MCH ED – Phone: 0409 867 492 Fax: (03) 6441 5923
NWRH ED – Phone: 0459 848 725 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED – Phone: (03) 6166 6101 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
Urgent / category 1
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks.
Patients with suspected lung cancer will be seen within one week.
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the Respiratory Department and/or the relevant doctor for urgent assessment and referral faxed to the Respiratory Department as well (03) 6173 0462.
Semi-urgent / category 2
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks.
Routine / category 3
Next available appointment.
For use by health professionals only