North South North West Statewide
All referrals should comply to the referral standards and include:
- Only to be referred as emergency with signs of Mastoiditis
Chronic OM (Chronic Suppurative OM)
- Examination findings of tympanic perforation, mucopurulent discharge
- History of recurrent Acute OM
- Tuning fork testing consistent with conductive or sensorineural hearing loss
- Swab for m/c/s
To refer a patient with this condition, please see the ENT clinic page for the full referral process and templates.
- Protect ear from water exposure
- Aural toilet (not syringing) if experienced
- Topical ciprofloxacin ear drops
For more information please see the Tasmanian Health Pathways website.
Semi-urgent / category 2
- Persistent despite treatment
Red flags are clinical indicators of possible serious underlying conditions requiring further medical intervention. They may or may not indicate an emergency.
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6777 5201
MCH ED – Phone: (03) 6478 5120 Fax: (03) 6441 5923
NWRH ED – Phone: (03) 6493 6340 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED - Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the Consultant/Registrar to organise urgent review and the referral must be faxed.
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks, or sooner if clinically indicated.
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Next available appointment