Perinatal and Infant Mental Health Service (PIMHS)
North South North West Statewide
This clinic sees pregnant women with both pre-existing and new mental health illnesses in the antenatal and immediate postnatal period. There is a multi-disciplinary team consisting of a psychiatrist and a perinatal mental health nurse.
This service is operated via the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service and operates alongside the Obstetric Service
All referrals should comply to referral standards and include in particular:
- Identify the mental health issues on the antenatal referral template
- Edinburgh postnatal depression scale
To refer a patient with this condition, please see the Obstetrics clinic page for the full referral process and templates.
Referrals to this service may be for
- Pregnant woman who are/will be cared for by the THS-South Obstetrics services where there is a current or past history of mental illness or concerns of possible mental illness.
- Pre-conception advice for women with established mental illness and planning pregnancy and who will be cared for by THS-South obstetric services.
- Postnatal women (up to 12 months post natal) who were cared for by the THS-South obstetric services who have a history of mental illness or have/may have a current mental illness.
If uncertain about suitability please phone RHH switch and ask to speak to a member of the perinatal psychiatry team.
For more information please see the Tasmanian Health Pathways website.
Patients who are an acute and immediate risk to themselves or their child
Red flags are clinical indicators of possible serious underlying conditions requiring further medical intervention. They may or may not indicate an emergency.
Circle of Security Website: The Circle of Security gives permission to use the downloadable handouts from their website for teaching to parents and mental health professionals.
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6348 7382
NWRH ED – Phone: (03) 6493 6340 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED – Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the Consultant/Registrar to organise urgent review and the referral must be faxed.
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks, or sooner if clinically indicated.
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Next available appointment